Live - Laugh - Love

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday Nathan!!

It is late and I am exhausted but the feeling like I should blog has taken over and hopefully it will go well. This blog post deserves it.

My son was born May 8th, 2005. He tried to be born much earlier than that. In fact, I was only 5 months pregnant when I started having contractions and dialating. It was a horrific idea that I was going to lose this baby I had already come to love so much. I had lost the baby before Nathan and I couldn't imagine going through it again.

So, May 5th I was admitted to the hospital at nearly 8 months pregnant and they decided I had to last until the 8th so I could be exactly 8 months. I was confused why three days made such a difference but they dosed me heavy with medication that made me confused, nervous, and twitchy.

May 8th they finally prepared me for labor and delivery of what would be my first, and most special Mother's Day present.

This year, six years later, Nathan's birthday is once again on Mother's Day and it has hit me very hard how much he has grown. My little tiny 5 pound 6 oz. baby has grown into a very tall, skinny, awkward, loveable, funny, witty, sassy, and over all one of the sweetest children I have ever met.



While most of my time has been spent taking care of our newest family member, my son has growing into a very vibrant, school aged dude. Today, he had a birthday party with friends he has grown up with his whole life and those he recently befriended from school. We decided since EVERY YEAR it rains on his birthday party day we would have his party in a gym. So, today was a gorgeous day for a BBQ and we had 8 little men (and one darling little lady) running around a gym, jumping on trampolines, falling into foam pits, and playing in a jump house. It was SUCH a great time. My kid got to be completely goofy as well as the star of the show. If you have a Kid Sport in town, it's a great place to have a party.




The day was perfect. All his friends were there. The cake was a perfect size and decorated in skate boards (which he loves). All the kids behaved well. Nathan got TONS of new toys (which makes me think about all the ones we need to store away for our next garage sale).

Nathan looked at me and said "Mom, this is really the best day ever."

Epic. Win.

After the party we dropped Jacob off at Mike's parents and took Nathan to a special dinner with mommy, daddy, and our good friends Mara and her mom Allison. We went to a hibachi grill where Nathan was dazzled by the cook. He made sure Nathan felt EXTRA special on his birthday. Sure, it was quite the hit to the pocket book but it was worth it to watch his face as the cook lit the fire on the grill and made a volcano. It was worth it to make this day special.

Then, as if it couldn't have gotten better, we took him for ice cream at cold stone.



He was SO exhausted and so full but so excited! It was a great end to the day and Mike and I got to spend some special time with just our older guy on his special day.

While tomorrow is his actual birthday, we wanted to make sure this day was perfect for him beginning to end and by the sound of the snores in his room right now...we did good!

Tomorrow, I plan on holding my 6 year old as much as he will let me. My very special Mother's Day present is still the most precious gift I was ever given. He gave me the title of MOM. I will never forget how he started from this tiny baby which didn't have much of a chance to this boy who now has the world of opportunities open to him.





No comments: